What is DHCP?
DHCP: One of the most important parts of windows server 2012 R2. And Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) is a client/server protocol that automatically provides an Internet Protocol (IP) host with its IP address and other related configuration information such as the subnet mask and default gateway. RFCs 2131 and 2132 define DHCP as an Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) standard based on Bootstrap Protocol (BOOTP), a protocol with which DHCP shares many implementation details. DHCP allows hosts to obtain necessary TCP/IP configuration information from a DHCP server. Ok let’s go to start install and configure DHCP.
The Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 operating system includes a DHCP Server service, which is an optional networking component.
Ok, now I want to show you step by step, how to install and configure “DHCP”. Let’s go to start install.
Install and Configure DHCP in Windows Server
- First click on manage and the go down and click on add roles and futures, now waiting for a short time the next page whit the name of before you being will be open. When you open it then click on next.
- Installation type: the installation page’s open. Now select the Role-based or feature-basedinstallation option and click
- Server selection: If you have more than one server managed via the server managerconsole, then select the desired server you’d like to install DHCP on. Bout a want to select the select a server from the server pool, and then, click on next.
- Server roles: From the Roles lists, select the DHCP Server role, the small page will open then click on Add Features on the popup windows it will come back on server roles again click on the next button.
- Features: don’t click to any options. Directly click on next.
- DHCP Server: The DHCP server page is open, click next.
- Confirmation: If you want to restart your system after installation. So click on Restart the destination server automatically if required. And then click install. It means when you install “DHCP” your system will restart automatically.
- Results: Now i want to complete “DHCP” configuration. Click on complete DHCP configuration. And then, waiting for a short time the next page will open.
- Description: the description page’s open. Click on
- Successfully you have done. It means the security groups had been created and Authorizing DHCP server role. Now click on Close button.
How to Configure DHCP in Windows Server
- Now I want to show you the DHCP configuration, first of all click on tools and then come down then select DHCP or open the RUN Window and type,(dhcpmgmt.msc). Configuration page will open.
- Now I want to make a new scope in server. When you open DHCP then, Right click on IPv4 and then click New Scope.
- The welcome to the new scope wizard is open. Click next to continue.
- Scope name: now you must to type a name and description. This information helps you quickly identify, how the scope is used on your network.
- IP address range: Enter the range of addresses, it means give IP address, for example I want to give this IP 100.10.1 up to 200.100 10.254 you can select other IP such as 192.168.100.30 up to 192.168.100.254.kindly do not click on length and subnet mask IP address. It will give’s automatically (255.255.255.0) and then click on next.
- Type the IP address range that you want to exclude 100.10.5 up to 220.127.116.11. It means I want to give IP spice for uniqe systems/ clients now those how want to give IP address from this server it give’s automatically 18.104.22.168 . Then Add the IP, and then, click next.
- Lease duration: set the duration for scope lease when distrbuted by this Server. And you can directly click on next.
- Domain name and DNS Server: the domain name system “DNS” and translates domain used by clients, on your Network. It means type your domain server name that you have done in “DNS” local. Then you can type the name and IP address for those server that you want to give and then click next, Bout I don’t want.
- WINS Server: click the next button, then next page will open.
- Active scope: do you want to activate this scope? Select, yes, I want to activate this scope now then click And then click finish.
- Now you can check your new scope. Ok open IPv4, then click on scope and then open address Now you can see.
Successfully you have done, install and configuration DHCP in windows server 2012 R2 and it’s useable to control any clients.
I wish success for you dear and if you want to know clearly watch the video. Best of luck
By: lutfullah moqadam